Historical fiction books are books that are based on real events and places, but usually have characters that never existed. For instance, Lord of the Flies takes place during World War II, but the people in it are not historical figures.
This genre is my personal favorite. Some awesome books in the historical fiction genre are:
- Master Cornhill by Eloise Jarvis Mcgraw (1660s England)
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (1820s France)
- Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes (1770s American Colonies)
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1860s USA)
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding (1940s England, and an island)
- A Little Princess by Francis Hodgson Burnett (1800s England)
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brain Selznick (1930s France)
- Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (1860s USA)
- Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle (1890s England)
Doesn’t this boy look like he stepped right out of a historical fiction book?